Mobile Internet usage is on the rise, and mobile advertising is becoming an increasingly lucrative opportunity for companies to improve business sales lead generation. An effective mobile pay-per-click (PPC) strategy can do wonders for your company’s business sales lead generation. According to Google’s survey regarding advertising on mobile devices, entitled “Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Users,” a full 82 percent of consumers say that they notice mobile ads, and research shows that mobile ads do have an impact on consumer behavior, meaning that they have potential to dramatically boost conversion rates. So how can you plan a successful mobile PPC strategy to boost your business sales lead generation efforts and increase conversions? Be sure to keep the following tips and tricks in mind.
1. Develop mobile-specific ad copy. As a general rule of thumb, assume that the attention span of a mobile user is less than that of a desktop user. That makes it hard to capture and retain a mobile user’s attention. That’s why mobile-specific ad copy is important. Invest in developing compelling titles that will trigger a mobile user into taking action
2. Select mobile-specific keywords. Just like you need mobile-specific ad copy, you also need mobile-specific keywords that reflect a mobile user’s smaller screen and smaller attention span. As a general rule of thumb, short, specific keywords tend to be much better for mobile PPC campaigns than long-tail keywords. When typing on smaller screens and on smaller keyboards, mobile users are simply less likely to input long queries. So tailor your keywords accordingly.
3. Use schedule mobile ad extensions. Basically, ad extensions work to improve your ad’s conversion rates and subsequently can improve the efficacy of your mobile PPC strategy. For example, you might use an ad extension to schedule ads to appear only when your business is open or to allow a user to get directions to your business. Call extensions also enable a mobile user to click to call.
4. Make sure that your landing pages are optimized for mobile. You can invest all the money you want in a mobile PPC strategy, but if you don’t have landing pages that are optimized for mobile you will never get the results you want. Remember, landing pages are key to conversions. Therefore you need to make sure that your landing pages are optimized for mobile viewing and navigation, ideally through responsive web design.
When designing mobile-optimized landing pages you also need to keep in mind that mobile search queries tend to be much more action-oriented than desktop search queries. According to another study conducted by Google in collaboration with Nielsen, 70 percent of mobile searches lead to action within an hour. In fact, three out of every four mobile searches will actually trigger one of the following consumer actions: additional research (36 percent), a website visit (25 percent), a store visit (17 percent), a purchase (17 percent), or a phone call (7 percent). In order to fully leverage this potential, make sure pertinent information is easily available on your mobile-optimized landing pages, including your phone number, location information, etc.
5. Always measure and optimize performance. Just like with any pay per click strategy, when it comes to mobile PPC strategy you need to continuously measure your performance and make tweaks in order to optimize the success of your campaign. Be sure to track conversions and form submissions to see what is driving leads.
All in all, mobile PPC is an excellent way to generate leads and boost your bottom line. The key is to develop an effective strategy that will increase conversions.