Google Places Listing Question:
hey mike, was wondering if anyone in your field has made any headway on the stupid google maps reviews things. we are using yellowpages exclusively right now, but need to get some more review up on google we had 4, they took away 2 so far, not sure why or how we have had 3 or 4 other patients summit ( they showed me their account) to no avail. any ideas or feedback would be great steve
– Dr Steve
Google has endured complaints for months about an overactive spam detector that picks off many of the legitimate reviews on Google Places for Business. Google gives some cryptic advice on the subject if you dig, but nothing really helpful.
If you’re hoping that there is some way around it – the short answer is no unfortunately. I do know that they have specifically targeted high volume review producers like Chiropractors, dentists, car dealers etc.
My advice – keep trying to get reviews but on a more natural basis. Consider using a QR code setup and encouraging your clients to do it right from their phones while on site. These seem to get picked up less by the spam filter.
A Few Suggestions To Help
1. If you are actively soliciting reviews for your business, consider spreading the love. Instead of encouraging clients to leave reviews on just Google or just Yelp, consider giving them a range of website choices to leave you a review.
Consider these other Canadian business review sites:
- Yelp Canada
2. Consider building your online reviews as a long-term strategy. In the short-term try not to be discouraged when one or many of your reviews gets pulled or never shows to begin with. Some reviews will make it through and there is still a lot of value tied to having a good online review profile. Quality vs Quantity.
3. Don’t pressure your clients for a review on a particular site. If youre client has a Facebook account already (and most due) then ask if they will give you a Facebook recommendation or share with their Facebook friends about their experience. If they have a Google account then great ask them to give you a Google places review. Yahoo and others fall in the same way. Try to utilize an account they already have versus having them create one just to leave the review.
4. DO NOT aggressively solicit and site reviews by email, or other bulk techniques. Even if they work now the unnatural pattern will get you dinged in the future.
5. DO keep encouraging clients to leave reviews. DO make it easy for them by providing printed instructions on where and how to leave them. Don’t worry if some of them get removed. Just keep consistently building your online review profile with an eye for the mid to long-term benefit.
There’s just too much value in Google Places and other review sites to give up.
Alternatives To Google Places Reviews
There are other ways to dress up your listing on Google.
1. You can get your image right in the results like this – https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=burlington+seo&oq=burlington+seo&gs_l=hp.3..0i30j0i7i30j0i30j0i7i30.8479.10293.1.10618.104.22.168.0.0.0.148.1123.4j6.10.0.les%3B..0.0…1c.1.BzWMZXkRPB8&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=da5acdf0a4d4f304&bpcl=36601534&biw=1680&bih=799
That will increase click through rate and you will be the only Chiropractor / Physio with it.
2. We can take the reviews that Google isnt showing and show them through micro format from your website instead like this – https://www.google.ca/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=kraft+reviews&oq=kraft+reviews&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i30j0i5j0i5i10.1713.4041.0.4322.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.1556.1j10j1.12.0.les%3B..0.0…1c.1.-vB_Ept1y0U&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=da5acdf0a4d4f304&bpcl=36601534&biw=1680&bih=799
Bottom line – Google Places review are going to be a pain for a while so we need to change our approach.
Let me know if you have any questions – we can pull the trigger on these items immediately.